Thursday, February 23, 2012

Sea of faith

So touring Israel with sleep is MUCH better.

After an amazing breakfast at our hotel by the sea we headed of to Nazareth. Jesus' ol' stompin' grounds (how's that for using an apostrophe?). Nazareth is huge and very commercialized today, but there is a certain feeling and distinctive charm there that sets it apart. Not to mention the fact that because this is where Jesus hung out a lot made it sweet also. Sitting on a mountain top; the square, several level homes seem to sit right on top of each other (when I say mountain I say that because they say it here, it's more like a glorified hill). Olive trees are everywhere here also. We went to see a place in Nazareth where they set up a city that looked more like the first century. They showed us how wine, olive oil, and yarn were made.

After Nazareth we visited Mt Arbel where several people hid from King Herod in caves on the cliff side. The Crusaders also would have used them also.

Then we went and had a fish lunch at St. Peter's Restaurant by the Sea of Galilee.

The last two trips at the end of the day were the most meaningful as we went on a boat out on the Sea and worshipped. Just being out there where Jesus calmed the sea and walked out on those same waters was amazing. We also walked the mount where Jesus gave His most famous message.
Sitting there listening to the words of the beatitudes you got a true sense of how crazy, yet hopeful that message must have seemed.

I could have stayed there and on the Sea just sitting there worshipping. So much of how Jesus lived is newly shaping my understanding of His words.

My response is worship, as I'm deeply affected when I consider it all.

Jesus was made more real to me today. More than I thought possible.

2 comments: