Saturday, February 25, 2012

The Jordan river is COLD!

There I stood just above waist deep in the river Jordan. Ice cold murky water. Murky because of the mud at the bottom I was assured. I'd been leading worship for all the baptisms before me and they were all done, so it was my turn. With great anticipation and sloppy footing on the wooden steps I ran down to the water's edge. I plunged my feet in the water, cold but not freezing, I splashed some water at my roomie Pastor John who was helping me into the water on the stairs. As the water went up on my legs I made my way to pastor Al and Tim, now I was cold, but the fact that I was about to be baptized in the Jordan in the place where Jesus himself was baptized took all precedence over my freezing lower extremities. We sang one more chorus of "Here I am to Worship", pastor prayed and then I laid back and closed my eyes. Though the feeling of rushing cold water went over my chest, a surreal feeling of cleansing came over me like never before. I could feel the closeness of what it must have been like 2,000 years ago between the person being baptized and the group of believers around him. More importantly was the closeness I felt to my Savior. It was an amazing celebration of Jesus and a stout and hearty affirmation of ones faith in Christ. Quite a difference from the cozy climate controlled baptistry I was baptized in when I was 12. Amazing.

Well that was mid day. Let me back up a little.

This morning Pastor John and I got up early to go and start our day with worship by the Sea of Galilee. On our way out on the pier we ran into Pastor Al. As I pulled out my guitar and we started to sing. The waves, birds and the breeze were a perfect accompaniment to our songs. The sun just peeking over the mountains on the opposite side of the Sea made the waters sparkle in pink and orange. It was a beautiful moment in time in the midst of our jan packed itinerary. After we sang for a while a guy walked up and in simple english said "I love Jesus too". A funny statement from my Japanese brother, but a unifying powerful truth that brought us together as family in an instant.

We were so glad to have stayed by the Sea for three days. It really gave us a sense of a day to day life for Jesus. Close communities decorated with amazing lush scenery. It seems only fitting for the setting of all the gospel stories I've read and heard.

After we left the Sea we headed for Caesarea Philippi. Not a place of huge biblical importance, but a fascinating roman village. One of the majorly cool things there was singing on the stage at the amphitheater. The one I had sang at in Caesarea a few days ago was cool, but this one had a better stage in tact and the acoustics worked better. The voice and the guitar effortlessly flew of the stage. It was pretty cool. I also got to sit on a 1st century B.C. toilet. Made from marble back in the day...nice.

We drove from there up north all the way down to Jericho. An amazing contrast in this area when looking at the countryside. As we neared our hotel near Qumran (place where they discovered the scrolls) near the dead sea there is nothing but brown everywhere with actual mountains all around. Reminds me of the area around the Salt Lake in Utah only more impressive.

Saw a lot of things, making the journey south, but nothing compares thus far to the explosion of emotion after being baptized in the Jordan.

Refreshed,

Justin

2 comments:

  1. Wow what an awesome opportunity Justin. This post has me in tears! It's almost like I can feel what you are experiencing. Thank you so much for taking the time to share with us your journey!

    ReplyDelete